Monday 5 August 2013

"Statistics suggest 23% of people under 25 are unemployed in Europe."

Fuck me, that is A LOT of people.

I am scared, scared for young people that leave education and have very little chance of getting onto the employment ladder. However, at the same time, listening to friends and other bits from things I have seen online, I don't think that young people are completely helpless. I just feel as if there is low moral amongst incredibly bright and brilliant people that is being wasted at mind numbing visits to the job centre, week in week out.

Right now, I think you have to make your own opportunities. I am. I work endlessly doing things which I know will make a difference. I still volunteer on a weekend, and actually because it isn't a full time commitment, I am going to work on something else too on a weekend as well as my job. It' is tiring, but I think at the end of the day my CV will look awesome and I'll have some great references to back it up. I go on about volunteer work a lot but I really feel if you want to get in somewhere, starting as a volunteer is a great way to get your foot in the door.

 If you're concious of the cost implications, some - not all organisations will pay reasonable expenses (bus fairs/petrol money) for your time, which is quite good. That obviously does depend on where you go.

I understand that you might feel put out by having to shell out dolla for a bus but just think of the rewards - more experience, making friends, networking, improved or new skills and a killer reference. And let us not forget that when applying for work, that people love a cheeky bit of volunteer work because you don't seen some self involved! Hahaha.

I still can't get over that figure, I mean, bloody hell.

To my friends who have graduated this year, well done and now comes the hard part! A couple of friends have managed to gain employment before they even graduated... and I couldn't be prouder!

I don't feel as if this blog is that funny without my hilarious trips to the job centre... not that I miss them, but it would be funny to make a return one day. Just for a minute or so. that place is pretty depressing. Soz.

So yeah mate, got something to say?
@DebStevo90 - give me a tweet and tell me if you don't like it, I won't take offence, honest.

Laters,
Stevo, xo


No comments:

Post a Comment