Monday 1 October 2012

The Stigma Of Being A JSA Claimer.

Now, I understand that it is infuriating if you're a hard working person and you feel most of your money goes on tax, I am pretty sure that when I start earning a wage, I will have a jolly old grumble at it. I think it's my dads favorite hobbie sometimes! Ha. Although when did it become acceptable to just assume that EVERYONE is a lazy claimer. This is the unfortunate stigma of looking for work, people assume you are exactly the same as someone who writes their shopping list on their paperwork and isn't taking the job search seriously enough. I've been so stressed about finding work, I've been in a state some days because it seems like I can't catch a break.

We're in a shitty economy, in Hull there is an average of 88 people chasing every job - it's tough, really tough.

I understand the annoyance at some people who are given the money and don't make any concerted effort to look for work - we can all tut at them can't we? My point is, I am actively seeking work, I am doing what I can to look for work, and yet I am still placed within the stigma of people who claim Job Seekers Allowance but don't really do anything. I understand the system is flawed but I am actually doing something to find work, and I can't wait to be doing something full time because I am going stair shit crazy from not.

I apply for at least 5 jobs per week, I look everyday, I've always got new windows open with opportunities on it. I applied to be a Christmas elf for Christ sake! Most posts I can't apply for because I don't have the experience, that's something I can't help. But, I am not going to apply for it, knowing I will be rejected (again) just so that people will get off my back. If I don't have what they want, I don't have it. Simple.

I don't think people who've never visited the Job Centre understand that actually, it's pretty dire and embarrassing. I waited as long as I could before I put in my claim - I was told "no Debs, put your claim in as soon as you leave university..." and yet I waited, I still had some money left from my student loans, so I thought, in the early stages of my job search, I can just live from that. But as it usually does, it doesn't last forever. So,  when I made my claim, it was only because I just couldn't without it. But like most people, I want to be off job seekers allowance as soon as possible.

This post was sparked by hearing moaning about it on the radio, it's damn ignorant to stereotype every unemployed person as being lazy and not wanting to find work.

So, to everyone who is out of work, good luck, it is hard but you just have to keep looking and taking opportunities where they are given.

Comments? Always welcome.
 Twitter, @DebStevo90

4 comments:

  1. Very well said: I was where you are now (economically speaking) after I graduated in 199.... (redacted)and it's very hard. You shouldn't feel that most people begrudge you your tiny pittance of JSA though; the grumblers are just more vociferous than the people like me who are glad we have a system where people don't end up begging on the streets if they can't find a job! Good luck in your job search and thanks for a great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to your both for your comments. Thank you for taking the time to read it! :) Yes, it's incredibly hard, and I also am glad we have a system in place. I am still in a really awful position with hardly any interviews coming in etc. It's very boring! :[

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can THANK our wonderful benefit scrounger obsessed press and the Tories which is more to do with myth and dogma than real world living, The same people moaning about JSA are the same people who claim benefits themselves but think that they deserve them more.

    ReplyDelete